Otoplasty (Ear Surgery) in Nashville
Being noticed for your looks can be a good thing, but when prominent or unevenly placed ears draw too much attention, they can become a source of self-consciousness that can damage your positive feelings about yourself and affect your interactions with others. Nashville otoplasty, or ear surgery, is a fast and minimally invasive cosmetic surgery procedure that can quickly and effectively adjust the position of the ears, restoring a more normal look and enhancing self-confidence.
As a plastic surgeon who is committed to staying at the forefront of the latest plastic surgery developments, Dr. Maxwell, Dr. Unger and Dr. Amaka have advanced surgical skill in delicate procedures ranging from otoplasty and brow lift to revision breast augmentation.
- Correct over-prominent ears
- Restore balance between unevenly positioned ears
- Help create a better balance for the facial features
Planning Your Procedure
Otoplasty is a relatively simple procedure, but it still requires a keen aesthetic sense and advanced level of surgical precision to create optimal results that balance well with your features. As an innovator of new plastic surgery approaches and a recognized authority on plastic surgery aesthetics, Dr. Maxwell, Dr. Unger and Dr. Amaka are passionate not only about offering precise, up-to-date Nashville ear surgery techniques, but also about creating harmony and balance that looks natural for the patient.
Otoplasty typically requires only a small incision behind the ear, through which Dr. Maxwell, Dr. Unger and Dr. Amaka will gently reposition the cartilage of the ear so that after healing, the ear will appear at a more natural, less noticeable angle. This procedure is typically performed on young adults and children no younger than age 4 because at this stage the patient’s tissues are still soft and easier to reposition; however, there is no age limit on this procedure or its benefits, Dr. Maxwell, Dr. Unger and Dr. Amaka also achieve satisfying results in otoplasty for adults.
- Otoplasty for younger patients: Dr. Maxwell, Dr. Unger and Dr. Amaka are careful to evaluate not only the physical shape of the patient’s ears, but also the goals of the parent and child. They will spend time explaining your procedure to you and clarifying what you can expect from your recovery and results so that you feel fully equipped to make a decision that benefits your child’s appearance and wellbeing in the long term. Because the healing process is crucial to good results, he will also provide detailed information on best practices for your child’s recovery.
- Otoplasty for adults: Many people live most of their adult lives feeling self-conscious about their ears before they turn to otoplasty to correct this problem and create a more balanced, natural appearance. Dr. Maxwell, Dr. Unger and Dr. Amaka are sensitive to the unique needs and expectations of adult patients, and they will outline your procedure options carefully before recommending an approach that offers the best results for your physiology and needs.
Otoplasty Surgery and Results
Before your procedure, Dr. Maxwell, Dr. Unger, Dr. Amaka and their helpful, highly trained staff will meet with you to answer any follow-up questions and prepare you for surgery. Dr. Maxwell emphasizes the highest standards for safety and patient privacy in each of his surgeries, and performs otoplasty as an outpatient procedure in state-of-the-art facilities either at MAXWELL AESHTETICS’ specially designed surgical suite or at the nearby Baptist Outpatient Surgery Center (Surgicare).
The surgery itself generally takes less than an hour, and for the first week or two you will need to wear bandages to protect the treatment area. Full healing typically involves very little discomfort and takes about 2 weeks, although healing times vary depending on the age and health of the patient. Dr. Maxwell, Dr. Unger and Dr. Amaka monitor the patients’ results carefully, and will plan a follow-up appointment to verify complete healing and attractive results.